Wednesday 7 April 2010

No Goshawk but....

Didn't really go out looking for Goshawk today, just using this as a reference back to the 'no Black Red' post of two weeks ago. Had a walk up the East side of the High Maynard and finally saw the female Black Redstart on the fence alongside the overflow channel. At first I could just see the back of a head which promptly dropped down out of sight and then a Robin reappeared in the same spot, however this was joined by the Black Red and my confusion was dispelled. Amazingly my first patch Black Redstart for exactly 21 years. (2 at the South end of the East Warwick 07 04 1989)

I have started taking my wife's camera out with me just in case I actually find anything noteworthy, so I thought I would try for a shot.....note to self make sure the battery is charged!

Had a few sightings of Little Egret flying up and down the overflow channel, Shelduck numbers are back up, at least a dozen birds on the North side of the Reservoirs, possibly twice as many, as they were very mobile it was difficult to be sure. A pair of displaying Oystercatchers on the Lockwood were new for me for the year. Willow Warblers and Chiffchaffs were very vocal and there was a steady trickle of Sand Martins moving North, possibly close to 80 birds over a 45 minute period. 3 male Wheatears suddenly appeared from nowhere along the West bank of the Lockwood together with a Meadow Pipit, a group of 4 of the latter flew over and then a further single.

Teal still around in reasonable numbers, perhaps over 30 birds, with the largest group in the overflow channel North of the Lockwood, also there 3 Green Sandpipers together.

PW

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reservoir Logs - January 2024 round-up

                                       A Long-tailed Duck dropped onto No 4 for the afternoon pic @IvorHewstone          The first Long-tail...