Saturday 29 November 2014

A lovely morning....

The Prof's recap post of the last missing three years enthused me enough that I got to the reservoirs just after 8 am. Kingfisher and Great Spotted Woodpecker (one of three recorded during my visit) were seen even before I climbed up to Lockwood and I got a nice surprise, given the warm winter so far, when a female Goosander came off High Maynard and went north.  A female Goldeneye and Common Sandpiper both continued at the north end of Lockwood and two Peregrines - one carrying what looked like a Black-headed Gull - flew towards the pylons together.
            After catching up with Graham, I crossed the road and did a circuit of the Warwick Reservoirs. West Warwick had a male Goldeneye and, more surprisingly, a Lapwing on the concrete bank while the pair of Stonechats had moved across the rail line to East Warwick.
           The weeds in the fenced off construction area at the north of the reservoir held a flock of 25 Chaffinches and there were reasonable numbers of Blackbirds around. By now, the sun had come out and it was so warm I saw a butterfly flutter across in the distance. Odd to think it will be December in just a day's time.
                         DB aka @porthkillier

1 comment:

  1. Darn! If I had been standing on top of the train back to Hackney Downs, I would have seen that Lapwing. GH

    ReplyDelete

Reservoir Logs - February 2024 round-up

                                       A winter Bar-tailed Godwit is a genuine rarity in London pic @Chris_Farthing        A resting Bar-tai...