Monday 31 August 2015

One Good Turn(stone)

        I am embarrassed to say that I visited the reservoirs twice today. I aimed to time a morning visit to try to re-find the possible Pied Fly with a break in the heavy rain. I failed as it started to pour down almost as soon as I got there, forcing me to flee back home. But although I was not there long, I somehow managed to see three species which had eluded me yesterday with a calling Cetti's Warbler near the meccano bridge, a Swift over No 5 and 20 or so Swallows feeding with the hundreds of martins.
      With the rain forecast to stop late afternoon, I tried again but, for some reason, decided to have a quick look at Lockwood first where I met Paul McCook who was making an infrequent visit. As we chatted walking up towards the north end, he casually mentioned that he had a Common and Green Sandpiper from the hide on the island on East Warwick.....and a Turnstone. I didn't take much persuading to turn round and join him to see if it was still there. It was, feeding ferociously on the side facing the hide fortunately so we had some comfortable seats. While Paul knew Turnstone was unusual, he did not know how difficult it is to catch up with on the reservoirs. According to Lol and the Prof, Turnstone is perhaps not even annual which explains why it was my first since 1986. Nice one Paul, and went some way to making up for the reservoirs apparently being a migrant-free zone this weekend. Fortunately Valerie Stapleton came along and took some pics for us.


        There were several more Swifts both over Lockwood and No 5 and Common Sands on both Lockwood and East Warwick.
DB @porthkillier

No comments:

Post a Comment

Reservoir Logs - March 24 round-up

                                                           Woodcock are an expected March maigrant pic @Elliott 1758817       A flock of Cro...