Monday 2 May 2016

Thank God(wit)!

Even after the joint heroics of two days ago - leaving several locals feeling as though they'd run the marathon - the call of the patch could not be ignored once again today...I mean what else to do on this spring bank holiday Monday? 
Weather started overcast with a strong SW wind but there were nice sunny spells later with temps hitting 15C and the promise of warmer weather to come.
I started with a circuit of Wild Marsh East where Groppy - our 'resident' Grasshopper Warbler - was still performing well on his favourite patch of bramble. I'd go as far as to say that he gives the best views I've ever had of this species, and long may he continue! There was also a singing Willow Warbler nearby which was my first of the year. It occurs to me that we've now had 11 ssp of Warbler on the patch this year, could this be a record?
By lunchtime I'd arranged to meet Jamie up on the Lockwood for a spot of skywatching, but with the strong wind, there wasn't much about (except 3 Common Sands and plenty of Swifts), so we decided to make our way down to the 'Saaf' side. Just as we arrived at the N end of no 4 res a wader flew across in front of us...a Black-tailed Godwit! JP managed to reel off a couple of record shots (he's getting pretty nifty with his new camera that lad!). This was only my 3rd and Jamie's 2nd sighting of 'Blackwit' on the patch, so a pretty rare bird here. If flew West but could not be relocated later on the East Warwick as we'd hoped. Not a great deal else was seen in the way of migrants today other than what I've already mentioned, plus a single White wagtail also on no 4. Stuart F had 3 more Arctic Terns earlier too. Another worthwhile outing then, at what is my favourite time of year...what goodies lie in store for us over the coming weeks I wonder?

Lol B


(Photos JP)





No comments:

Post a Comment

Reservoir Logs - March 24 round-up

                                                           Woodcock are an expected March maigrant pic @Elliott 1758817       A flock of Cro...