Tuesday 30 December 2014

Brrr!!!

Only two days left of 2014, so I went to the WaterWorks hoping that there would be a Bittern waiting there for someone with a camera. Sadly, there wasn’t.

But there was a Cetti’s Warbler mooching about (on the ‘big boring bed’ that has recently developed into a ‘potentially quite interesting bed’), letting me get glances of him through my bins. Of course, he was adamant that he was not going to be photographed. I respect that. I think if I was a bird (I do think about that), I could be a Cetti’s. I bet they don’t have a Facebook account either.

On my way out of the WaterWorks, a flock of around twenty Fieldfare flew over towards the paddocks, so I couldn’t resist a wee peak. It was thrush central! There were scatterings of Redwings, Fieldfares, Mistle Thrushs and Blackbirds everywhere.

I tried to snap some, but my fingers felt like they were experiencing the early onset of frostbite and I failed miserably.

Must buy better gloves.

GH - @leevalleybirder

The now 'Possibly Quite Interesting Bed'.
Where the Cetti's was.
Sparrowhawk
Shoveler
Blue Tit (gotta give the little guys some time)
Fieldfare
Mistle Thrush
Redwing
Significant stuff seen

Long-tailed Tit flock
Fox
Chiffchaff
Shoveler
Little Grebe
Cetti’s Warbler
Goldfinch flock
Sparrowhawk
Reed Bunting
Gadwall
Mistle Thrush
Redwing
Fieldfare
Green Woodpecker

2 comments:

  1. Would have thought, as a Scot, that these conditions are positively balmy for you...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Been down here long enough now to have officially turned into a 'southern softy'.

    ReplyDelete

Reservoir Logs - March 24 round-up

                                                           Woodcock are an expected March maigrant pic @Elliott 1758817       A flock of Cro...