Saturday 14 March 2015

The Early Bird catches.....SFA

It was lucky I still had a warm glow from Thursday's adventure because it was perishing cold on Lockwood at 7-30 am - and pretty much for the rest of the day. Still it started well with the sun shining, the pair of Scaup showing on the west side, five Goldeneye and a Peregrine on what remains of the gasometer. But it then began to cloud over,the cold NE wind picked up and the birds - and optimism - sort of petered out. West Warwick,which has now also been manicured, held a female Goldeneye as did East Warwick. A Common Sandpiper was on No 4 along with another pair of Goldeneye while I managed to close an embarrassing Redwing-size hole in my reservoirs year list with a single bird feeding on the ground near the second bridge.

But for the second visit on the run, I failed to reach 50 species despite spending over seven hours on site. Ducks were definitely down in numbers with only a few Teal, no Shovelers nor any Gadwall I can remember seeing. As the sun came out again and it warmed up finally, I headed back for a brief look up at the sky from Lockwood before returning home for a family engagement. As I left, I spotted SF striding round the reservoir in the other direction. By the time, I had got back to Highbury, he had recorded the first two Sand Martins of the year. I should have listened to the Prof when he said it was a waste of time getting to Walthamstow early.

DB @porthkillier


No comments:

Post a Comment

Reservoir Logs - March 24 round-up

                                                           Woodcock are an expected March maigrant pic @Elliott 1758817       A flock of Cro...